Thursday, March 05, 2009

Gotten

I don't know what my problem is. For some reason I've become obsessed with people who use the word "gotten." As in, when they say it, I cringe, almost as if it's not a real word. It's come the point where I have made a conscious effort to take the word out of my vocabulary entirely and replace "gotten" with "obtained" or something similar. Tonight I decided to google the word, and I found out that it can be used in regard to obtaining, becoming, or moving. However, it CANNOT be used in terms of possession. I've found that most people, when using the word, do so in regard to possession. How's that for random and obsessive?

3 comments:

Tara said...

OK, so I'm not dillusional! I talk on the phone with people all day and that very same thing makes me nuts! I got a ...... how about you have.....

Miranda said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone!

Julie said...

I used the word "gotten" in my blog today. I used it correctly. I hope that's okay with you. : )