Friday, June 08, 2007

last weekend

Things I learned in Crouch, Idaho last weekend:

1. Driving 30 mph uphill isn't so bad. The Jeep doesn't have a whole lot of power going uphill when it has the trailer with camping gear, rafting gear, and a shit-ton of beer in it. We weren't all that surprised when car after car passed us, but we got quite the thrill when the yellow Corvette was pulled over by a cop when we finally made it to the top!

2. $13 BBQ is totally worth it.
We had to wait for what seemed like an eternity to get our food at the BBQ after our day of rafting, but when we saw the amazing pile of food on our plates, we decided that things would be juuuuuuust fine. My favorite part of standing in the BBQ line was watching the guy dunk my biscuit in a vat of melted butter...mmmm. I wish I had a picture for you.

3. How to steal a keg from the Longhorn Bar. It's true, we saw 2 guys walk into the cooler, pick up a keg, and walk out the door with it. The bartender said, "Hey, get out of my cooler!" when she saw them go into it, then promptly turned around and mixed drinks for the thirsty rafters as the guys stole the keg.

4. Josh is one lucky bastard. he bought $10 of raffle tickets and won 5 prizes! WTF?! I got my share of it though--the whistle is now attached to my life preserver.

5. The Dirty Shame is the place to party. We started the night at the Longhorn with all of the other rafters and decided to head back to our campsite fairly early...after all, we still had 2 cases of beer and 7&7s to drink. On our walk back down the highway, we stopped in at The Dirty Shame, which was really just that. I don't even think I have anything entertaining to report about that, other than the fact that I ran into someone from high school over there. We just liked the name of the bar.

6. How to tell a spinning star from a shooting star. Tradition in Josh's family is to spot 3 satellites or 1 shooting star before being allowed to hit the hay. If you see a spinning star, it just means that you are really, really messed up.

7. Water bottles can serve several purposes. When we got back to our campsite, I decided that I wanted a 7&7 so I got out my Seagrams and lemon-lime soda only to find that I had nothing to drink it out of. So I pulled out the water bottle that Josh won in the raffle and made myself a cocktail. In the morning, we dug through the camping supplies only to realize that there were not coffee mugs or cups. Oops. I rinsed out my cocktail bottle and poured the coffee in there. Nothin' like drinking coffee that actually takes like liquor at 8am.

8. This whole camping/rafting thing is right up my alley. I've always liked camping, so I didn't have to "learn" that, but every time we go rafting, I feel like I'm going to puke from nervousness, then pee my pants from excitement...or is it all of the beer we drink...hmm. Either way, I'm getting more and more excited for this Middlefork trip. We leave Sunday...woo hoo!

Anything I left out boys?

1 comment:

Josh said...

Well, there was Justin's act of Gluttony when he finished that enormous plate of food. I was just waiting for Kevin Spacey to "teach him a lesson" that night. Justin was more worried about getting eaten by a bear, since he was probably sweating BBQ sauce.

You left out my hitch-hiking adventures, but that's probably a good thing.

I think most of the other stuff that happened that weekend was probably only funny if you were there, full of PBR.