Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Principals

When I was in high school, a family friend of mine convinced me to take voice lessons. I'm not sure what purpose those lessons were supposed to serve, but I did it. Every week I would head to this old lady's house and sing songs from the 40s and 50s and learned about proper posture and breathing. Every week, without fail, she would ask me to talk to Ted Totorica at Borah (my high school) about joining choir. After several weeks, I got up the nerve to ask him if I could join the "zero hour" choir, which meant that I was giving up an extra hour of sleep to go sing at 7am every morning. I was a bit nervous when I went to talk to him, but I finally did it.

And he said no.

I was denied. Without any hesitation (and without even listening to me sing), he told me that there were too many people in "that choir" and that even though I was taking private voice lessons, I could not be in it.

From that moment on, I made it a point to be available for any function possible at Borah. I played guitar and sang to raise money for United Way and I played for a dedication for a trophy case (what? who does that?!). I earned extra points for my American Government class for playing protest songs during our studies about the Vietnam War. The list continues on. I made it a point to make sure that Ted Totorica knew that I could actually sing and that he made a mistake by not letting me join choir.

During the last week of work, I found out that Mr. Ted Totorica would be joining the elementary school staff as the Assistant Principal.

2 comments:

Coop said...

hhahahha! in private, I will share with you a similar story.

Anonymous said...

what a prick. but wait, he'll fit in just fine with all those other pricks they've got over there...